Handmade Fridge

I still remember my kids asking for a fridge right after they got their handmade washing machine. So I started collecting boxes, clear plastic, bottle caps — anything I could recycle — and turned them into a little “fridge.” 😄

My husband likes to tease me that collecting boxes has become my new hobby _; but he still helps by saving some from his purchases (which eventually became another handmade project… stay tuned for my next post!). Hahaha.

Here’s my handmade fridge:




The five main sections I created:

  1. Bottom compartment — for vegetables and fruits.

  2. Middle compartment — for items that don’t need freezing or chilling.

  3. Top freezer — for “ice cream,” fish, or meat.

  4. Door shelves

    • Top — perfect for “eggs.”

    • Bottom — for bottles.

  5. Front door dispenser — where the kids can take “cold water” without opening the fridge.


Let's see what materials I used:

  1. Boxes — two boxes for the fridge body and shelves.

  2. Clear plastic — any wrapping plastic (can't remember the brand); used as the “glass” door.

  3. Cover for the cold-water section — from a tools modelling kit (^_^ just bought for my next baking adventure _).

  4. Drink carrier — recycled drink carrier from Imperial Treasury at 313 Somerset when I bought dinner with four soya milks; used for the vegetable and fruit trays.

  5. Sticky tape

  6. Cutter

  7. Glue

  8. Rubber bands — to keep the door closed. I added four small squares on the door and one medium rectangle on top as handles and to help the kids close the fridge.

  9. Styrofoam — used in the freezer section to create an “ice” effect. I thought of using cotton but ended up choosing styrofoam instead.

It's really fun making this fridge and I can't wait to see my kids' reaction seeing and playing with it.

Would you make the something like this for your kids too? 

Comments

Popular Posts